Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Samgyetang- Korean Chicken with Ginseng Soup

Recently, Siwon of Super Junior tweeted a pic of samgyetang soup. Samgyetang is a Korean chicken and rice soup with ginseng, jujubes, and garlic. Lots of garlic.

I remember a friend of mine raving about the samgyetang she had in Busan when she had visited earlier this year. It also happens to be a favorite dish of one of my favorite idols, Hong Ki of FT Island.

The picture that Siwon tweeted along with the description from my friend had me looking up the recipe.

Photo Courtesy of Choi Siwon's Twitter
Now, I love to cook. And I like to cook as authentically as possible. If there's any inkling that a recipe may be otherwise, I move on. Lucky for me, there's YouTube. I happened to see this Korean ahjumma demonstrating dukkbokki in one video and found she had one for samgyetang. Hallelujah! Can't go wrong. It's simple with only a few ingredients. The only thing that kinda makes me squeamish is the whole ginseng root. But apparently to all Koreans, it's a necessity and it's good for you. Otherwise it would just be chicken soup.

Now that the weather is colder, I'm going to be making this. And hopefully post a review on this, unless I eat it too fast. I hear you're supposed to eat this in the summer, but I would love this to warm me up on a cold winter day.

Here's the video, you can also find it on Maangchi's page. (Of course I don't take credit nor own the video and any pictures on this post.) Check out the other recipes too on http://www.maangchi.com. Then come back to see a review, or let me know how yours turned out. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment! (No profanities though!)