Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Netflix vs Hulu Plus for K-Dramas

I am going to go out on a limb here and just assume others have been in my situation.

I am currently debating whether or not I want to reinstate my Netflix membership or not. Why? I simply am not happy with the selection on Netflix. Especially when it comes to Korean dramas.

I think it's been especially, pardon my expression, "sucky" the past year as they moved away from blockbuster movies to TV and drama series. Granted it's been because they lost their partnership with Starz (I believe) but I have my doubts on whether or not this was a good move.

But, I digress...I can go onto a totally different tangent on just their movie selection alone. I want them to have more K-Dramas! And not just the older titles, but current titles as well.

Netflix has been a bit of a thorn in my side when it comes to K-Dramas. They have well-known dramas, but some dramas do not have all of the episodes. For instance, I was thrilled to see that they had Lee Min Ho's drama "City Hunter" and Song Seung Hun's drama "My Princess". But when I went to watch them, there was only half of the episodes listed. Now, they have the full list of episodes ready to watch. But my pet peeve was when I wanted to watch them, they weren't available. And this was after the dramas had been complete for some time. Netflix also has hiccups in their service where it takes quite a while to stream movies or dramas. My experience has been that Netflix would stream for 12 seconds then stop, then stream for 5 seconds and then stop again. Very, very difficult to watch. I have never experienced this with anyone else like YouTube or Hulu.

Speaking of Hulu, I am currently exploring Hulu Plus. I just started my trial the other day. I have to say that I am impressed so far. Not only do they have the older K-Drama titles, but they have newer ones like "My Name Is Kim Sam Soon" as well such as "Time Slip Dr. Jin" and "Baker King Kim Tak Gu". I will note that "Dr. Jin" has not finished airing yet, or may have just finished, but all of the episodes up until this point have been posted on Hulu ready to be streamed. They stream from Drama Fever and have pretty much everything that Drama Fever has, and just within the last year alone, I know that they have grown quite a lot in their selection.

However, I have a slight annoyance with Hulu. I am not sure if this will go away once I have membership, but every program, TV series or movie I have tried to watch has what they call "limited commercials". This is something that I never experienced with Netflix. I hate it. I hate it that YouTube does it, and I hate it that Hulu does it. I hope there is a plan that let's me remove commercials, for a good price of course.

So, the jury is still out on both of these services. But frankly, without the good movie service and the fact that I would use either service to watch K-Dramas, I am leaning more towards.....Hulu Plus.


By the way, can anyone who reads my post tell me if they can read any of my current posts? I usually post daily, and I think there may be something wrong with my site. Please help me?

1 comment:

  1. DramaFever has them both beat. If you suscribe there are no commercials and probably over 500 dramas and movies.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! (No profanities though!)