Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: FT Island's "I Wish" M/V

FT Island's last album, "Grown Up", seemed to be a step forward in their maturity level. Although I found "I Wish" and the music video cute, it felt a little young and innocent, a sort of step back from their hit song, "Severely".

As the song opens, Song Seung Hyun is seen ripping deftly through a latin inspired run. I thought, oo, this is going to be great, I've never really heard anything latin coming through an Asian group before.

As you get into the song, the latin influence is still there in the background with the sweet tones of a trumpet. However, entering the chorus, it turns into what I call "pop-rock". Strong guitar and drums take over with Hong Ki charismatic voice singing over them. Signature FT Island.

The video and song overall, is very, bubble gum. All five guys vying for the attention of one girl, each hoping that they will be the one she will want to be with.

The group members each show a different maturity. None of them are running around crazy, goofing off, as in their previous videos. Song Seung Hyun teaches the girl how to play the guitar, Hong Ki is seen talking with the girl (a bit awkwardly) seriously, Min Hwan is showing off his photography skills by doing an impromptu photo shoot of the girl, Jae Jin's character is manly, but a bit innocent compared to the rest as he shyly takes the girl's hand, and Jong Hun (has the best scene I think) is lying on the girl's lap being taken care of the girl of the hour. And by the way, what is up with the head band in Hong Ki's hair? A head band? Really? That sort of detracted from his manly visage.

To me, the video isn't as visually striking and the story line isn't as strong as "Severely", but the song is catchy nonetheless. Primadonna's will certainly like it.

I am interested in hearing/seeing the rest of the songs on the album. I like "I Wish", but it's kind of a let down from "Severely". Just my humble opinion.


I'm still rooting for these guys to make a splash this Thursday at their comeback stage!

Video credit to FNC and FT Island's Official YouTube

2 comments:

  1. Have a listen to the other tracks on the album. I think they show more of the maturity you would expect in FT Island's music at this stage, especially as 6 of the other 9 songs are written/composed by the members themselves. I think the title song has been chosen more for mainstream appeal, but I would say the actual treasures of this "Five Treasure Box" album come in the accompanying tracks (just my opinion) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment nehav! I just listened to majority of the tracks. I understand now what you meant about the other tracks being the actual treasures. I especially liked "Your Words". =) I wish they hadn't gone for the traditional "mainstream appeal" as you call it. I'm not sure if the members had a real say in what song they would debut their new album with, but after listening to the other songs, I have to say I wouldn't have minded if they had gone with a song other than "I Wish".

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! (No profanities though!)