Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Breaking Down "Primadonna"

I was singing through my repertoire of musicals, just cause I was bored while doing laundry, and as I was singing "Primadonna" from the Phantom of the Opera I thought of something.

In Italian, it means "first lady" of the opera house (prima=first, star, one and only. Donna=lady)

In the U.S. it has received a more negative connotation, meaning "diva" or a spoiled star.

Being brought up in the U.S., I naturally thought of our interpretation of Primadonna when I heard this was the name of FT Island's fan club, and also the name of one of their songs for their fans. I really thought it was odd, and felt insulted for all their fans. Why in the world would you name your fans spoiled ladies?

Then, as I was watching an interview, English subbed of course, FT Island members explained that they named their fans this because they are their friends for life or "BFF's". Basically saying that these fans were their one and only. And it made sense. How appropriate if you think of it.

Pri's are constantly there for FT Island. Dedicated and die hard. Cheering them on through thick and thin, good times and bad. Trying to take care of them with gifts. To be raised on such a pedestal by an idol band, it's a lot to live up to. To be one, is difficult, as they do not offer membership outside of Asia. (As far as I know. I can say I'm one, unofficially.)

In this noona's eyes, FT Island is lucky to have their fans. And Pri's are lucky to be a part of FT Island's lives. I hope they never let each other down.

On a similar note, is there any way of starting up a Primadonna club here in the States?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment! (No profanities though!)