Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Total Respect for Production Crews

In my line of work, I've been privy to behind the scenes looks of documentaries and commercials.

Today was an especially grueling day on set. Working with multiple talent (actors and actresses), many combinations of wardrobe and props under intense summer heat, I have found a greater respect for production crews.

Stylists, prop artists and production assistants constantly rush back and forth the whole day getting a prop for an actor, fixing hair, wardrobe and make-up, making sure outsiders (everyday people) are kept off the set and quiet and basically making sure everything is moving along smoothly. It is rough! On top of that, the director, sound and lighting crews make sure everything is sticking to script and lighting is ok. It's especially rough when you shoot outdoors, like we were today. We were constantly having to wait for the sun to come out behind clouds. Sometimes we would have a couple of minutes and sometimes it was only a few seconds to get precious takes. It is a heck of a lot of waiting!

Craft service crew members (the ones that provide the food, the good part of being on set) fill and refill snacks and food, making sure no one goes hungry or thirsty. Staying hydrated today was a problem since it was so hot.

There is so much work that goes into putting together a piece that goes on TV. And I didn't really understand why people would lose sleep or weight. Now, I get it. Perhaps I didn't stay for long enough on sets before, or perhaps it just didn't click when I read actors lose sleep and weight during weeks of shooting. (Google pics of different actors like Jang Geun Suk, Kim Hyun Joong, and Lee Min Ho pre, during and post production on their dramas. You'll see what I mean) With call times in the early morning and wrap up times late at night, it's no wonder!

It's so cool and glamorous on the outside. A friend of mine on Facebook thought it was so cool that I work on sets. And yeah, it is. You meet people and you get a first look at everything. But it is tiring work. I wouldn't recommend it for just anyone.

I definitely have total respect for production crews on TV shows and movies. Especially the ones on Korean dramas. I hear they run their crews ragged to get the perfect takes on shoot constantly, day after long day. Whew!

Tomorrow, I pull double duty. I'll be part of the production crew and I'll also be acting again. We'll see how it goes. Hope I wake up on time, it's another early morning call and a full shoot day.

Blog about it later! Happy weekend! Hwaiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment! (No profanities though!)