Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Time Slip Dr. Jin

Also known as just Dr. Jin, this medical historical drama seemed interesting in that it blended modern with the old.

A modern day doctor, Jin Hyuk, played by Song Seung Hun, travels back in time to the Joseon Dynasty.

Trying to keep out of trouble, Dr. Jin tries to blend in as much as possible. However, situations arise where he is called upon over and over to save lives.

What gets me is that Dr. Jin is a modern day doctor, but he's somehow slipped into the past where there is no such thing as needles, IV's, clean workstations and proper medicine.

How does he deal with such archaic methods? He introduces them!

For instance, when the people in ancient Seoul are plagued by viruses and infections, he makes penicillin and administers it to the people. Oh, heck no! What would Fleming have to say a hundred years later when he introduces it?

Then Dr. Jin performs surgery using knives and cutting tools not invented until much, much later. Need an I/V? He just pulls the rubber out of his bag and tells someone to craft a needle and get him a glass jar.

When faced with the possibility of a time paradox, he doesn't stop. He keeps on administering medicine and introducing new medical methods to help heal the ill. (Removing tumors, treating poisoning by pumping the stomach, etc.). It's getting to be a bit much.

Now, this drama is almost at an end and I am only through watching half of it. But every time I watch an episode I see another problem with Dr. Jin introducing things that shouldn't be introduced yet. I am interested in seeing how this all plays out, but gosh darn it, it is darn right frustrating. I mean, come on! Can't he see that he's changing history?

The fact that I like this drama enough to keep watching it is very disturbing as I normally don't like historical dramas. But, as frustrating as it is, it's still entertaining enough for me to be able to shout at the computer.

If you want to join in my K-drama frustration, look for it on sites like dramabeans.com, mysoju.com or dramafever.com.

Dr. Jin/Song Seung Hun, if you weren't such eye candy, I don't think I would give you much notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment! (No profanities though!)