Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pancit Bihon Palabok

One of my most favorite Filipino dishes is pancit bihon palabok, or just palabok.

What is pancit bihon palabok? It's a dish made with thin rice noodles (pancit bihon) and tossed gently (or ladled generously with) with a sauce made with pieces of pork or chicken, stock, sliced onions and carrots, garlic, fish and soy. Topped with slices of egg, crumbled chicharron and green onion. It's usually served for special occasions like birthday parties or weddings. And, from I know, a little labor intensive.

My aunty made the best palabok while I was growing up. If she was throwing a party at her house, I made my parents go just so I could eat it. (Yes, even then I was a little piggy.) Sadly, she is no longer with us and I never got the chance to grab the recipe from her.

Now I have to settle for whatever I can find in restaurants or Filipino take-out counters.

Thankfully, there is a restaurant that my sis-in-law turned me onto that has palabok that tastes really close to what my aunty used to make.

Here's a picture of what it looks like. The link below the picture has a fairly decent recipe. If you want to try to make it, by all means, be my guest. They sell the sauce mix alone, too.

If you try it, let me know what you think!





Link to site: http://eternaltreasures.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-cook-PANCIT-PALABOK#


Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment! (No profanities though!)