Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rappers Can Sing?

I've thought of rappers as just, well, rappers. They can't dance, they can't sing. They just rap.

Imagine my surprise when I came across the likes of Song Seung Hyun of FT Island. He not only raps, he also plays guitar, and...he sings! Take a look at the video below. He comes in for the second verse. (Note that I do not own this video. This is off of a scabiosa's site on Youtube.)



I was so shocked, but at the same time, I could feel a wide smile grow even wider on my face. I am so used to American rappers looking all "gangsta" and be essentially tone deaf when it comes to singing. I am so used to seeing them punctuate their words with quick and hard hand gestures.

When I came across this video of FT Island on a radio show performing "Like A Doll", it was like the heavens opened up above me. I was that impressed and blown away.

Granted his vocals were not as gripping or as strong as other singers, but his tone, oh the tone of his voice. It made me melt. (Sorry Hong Ki, don't worry, I still love you more)

Till this day, whenever Song Seung Hyun sings, it makes me smile. A rapper blew my pre-conceived notions of a rapper out of the rapper. Awesome...

And now...this rapper is in a musical showing off more of his vocals in "Jack the Ripper". Totally awesome.

Just for the heck of it, here is Song Seung Hyun "rapping" in FT Island's "Like Birds" (Sadeul Cheoreom). (Again, I do not own this video. This was off of jihyun0505's site on Youtube. Credit goes to FNC Entertainment who originally produced this video)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment! (No profanities though!)