Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

I Soju, We Soju

At the end of one of my earlier posts, I posted a pic of soju. Soju is a popular distilled Korean drink served in bars in Asian bars in the U.S. and certain restaurants in South Korea. It is usually drunk neat and always served in a shot glass to a companion. It has its own serving protocols to show respect to those older than you, but I won't go into more detail as that would be quite long to explain.

Soju can be made from different starches such as rice, wheat, barley and sweet potato and tastes a bit like sake (Japanese rice wine) or vodka.

It can be flavored with fruit, such as strawberry, watermelon (my favorite) or melon and blended with ice to make a slush. These flavored ones are the most dangerous as the fruity flavor takes a bit of the bite away from the alcohol in the soju. Trust me, I've seen many friends become smashed just by drinking a couple of shots.

If you ever come across the chance to try this popular drink, please do. But don't forget you have to be legal to drink it.

It's wonderful ice cold and drunk with a couple of friends. You never want to drink a whole bottle by yourself. It's that potent, no matter what it's mixed with.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment! (No profanities though!)